Saturday 11 June 2016

Mind mapping research


Writing historical fiction is wonderful if you like doing research - which I do - but you can get bogged down in facts and your desk can disappear under a sea of paper.

So I make a big mind-map to summarize my research and stick it up on the dining room wall where I do most of my writing. Creating the mind map helps me get an overall feel for the subject, and is somewhere I can quickly go to find a fact.

Apologies for the poor photos, the mind map's high up and I had to work around the table in the middle of the room.

I've still got lots of books and bits of paper piled on my desk but it would be a lot worse without the  mind map.

The whole thing - 4 sheets of A4 sellotaped together and pinned on the picture rail.


 
Close up - can you read it?.


 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Looks great, Rosie. Love the thought of you "writing on the dining room wall" *smile* xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fascinating, Rosie. I used to get my school children to write mind maps so why don't I do it myself? Maybe for the next novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope it works well for you Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I love the thought of having your mind-maps on the wall in the dining room. I'd love to come to your house for a meal, but I don't think I'd be good company, as I'd be trying to read your mind maps all the time. I have a large noticeboard on the wall beside my desk and your blog has made me look at it with fresh eyes. Maybe get rid of the reminders, photos and other bits and pieces, and cover it with plots instead...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mind maps can be distracting at meal times, sending my mind off in different plot possibilities. Good luck with plotting on your notice board, Susanna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally appreciate the time and effort you took into putting it all together. If you are reading this comment, you are lucky enough to go for the affordable paper writing services from our company and free yourself from excessive worries connected with writing! Thank you for providing this information.

    ReplyDelete