Saturday 5 March 2016

The Forgotten Service

How much do you know about the London Auxuliary Ambulance Service's work during the Second World War? I knew very little when it was chosen as the setting for my novel. I'd heard more about the Auxillary Fire Service and the A.R.P. wardens, but the crews of the L.A.A.S. seemed to have slipped under the radar and their work hasn't been given the recognition it deserves. Like those in the Fire Service and the wardens, the ambulance crews were out in the middle of air raids ferrying casualties to hospital. They had to deal with some gruesome sights.

When it came to starting my research the title of the first book I read was quite appropriate - The Forgotten Service by Angela Raby. Written from her aunt's memories and with many photos and lots of details about the work of the LA.A.S. crews, it's an excellent research source that I keep going back to again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment